Seven questions to ask yourself before buying an outdoor-use extreme cooler
There are a ton of options out there nowadays when it comes to purchasing an extreme cooler for hardcore outdoor use. When you decide that your old heat-warped cooler isn’t meeting your needs in the outdoors, it’s time for an upgrade. It’s possible to purchase the last cooler you’ll ever need. However, when you hit the local outdoor store or start browsing online you might be a little shocked by what kind of prices you start seeing. As a serious outdoorsman, adding to your gear arsenal usually requires doing some research. Check out our seven questions to ask yourself when shopping for a outdoor cooler.
2. What’s the warranty on the cooler or coolers I’m looking at purchasing? Some companies offer a warranty as little as four years, others offer up to a lifetime guarantee. The sign of a good quality product, is a company that stands behind it.
3. Is cost a factor for me? For most it is, for some it isn’t. At any rate explore the features and benefits of each extreme cooler in relationship to the price in order to ensure you’re getting what’s important to you at a price you can afford.
4. What type of insulation is used and how thick are the walls and lid? Some companies offer insulation that’s environmentally friendly and also inject the insulation into the coolers walls that push the 3” thick range making for the best ice retention. Keep in mind, thicker insulation also means it takes more energy (ice) to cool it down that’s why pre-cooling the unit before use yields the best results.
5. Is the cooler comfortable to haul around?
Grab the cooler and carry it around the store. Now imagine it with 40 pounds of ice and food or drinks inside. Pay attention to the molded handles and also the rope handles. Some extreme cooler options out there now come with sliders on the bottom which turn heavy hauling into a 1 man pull and slide with ease situation.
6. Are the latches easy to use? Try them with 1 hand, you know like when 1 of your hands is full of drinks. Some are more difficult to operate than you’d think once you’ve grabbed a handful of beers out.
7. What colors are available and do I care? These coolers are a big investment and maybe you want yours to sport the colors of your college football team or something similar when you’re in the high country. Everyone offers white which works the best out in the sun because it doesn’t absorb as much heat as darker colors.
If you roll through these questions you’ll be on the right track to make sure you make a smart purchase and that the cooler you choose will ensure years of use in God’s amazing outdoors.
- Canyon Coolers Outfitter 55 Qt Cooler
- $289.99 MSRP | Colors: White, Sandstone, Aquamarine
- Ice Retention – 7-10 days
- Lifetime Warranty
Canyon Coolers Outfitter 55 Qt Cooler ranks at the top for us. It’s their highest selling unit and the size works well for a lot of different outdoor excursions from day trips to weekend wheeling and camping adventures. The cooler packs away in Jeeps and trucks with ease as the super tough tight fitting latches are counter sunk into the cooler body and keep the 3” thick lid tight. The airtight foam gasket ensures warm outside air stays out and food and drinks stay cold. The walls of the cooler are 2.7” thick with pressure-injected foam insulation.
Our favorite feature on this cooler is the slider bars along the bottom which make transporting it super simple, we’ve found even a small child can help dad set up camp by pulling the rope handles and moving the cooler around even when loaded. Grizzly bear proof, Lifetime Guaranteed and the best value around. You won’t find more bang for your buck than Canyon ‘s Outfitter line of coolers.