Standard Fuel Saver Technology and a new-for-2012 active valve exhaust system allows four-cylinder operation to engage over a wider rpm range, to deliver both improved fuel efficiency – an estimated 13-percent increase on the highway – and an extended range of approximately 450 miles on one tank of gas.
Standard steering wheel mounted paddle shifters join the standard AutoStick on the floor. Both are mated to a proven automatic transmission, allowing a choice of spirited shifting on the road and the race track. Both methods give the driver the ability to shift while the transmission controller calibration prevents situations that might over rev the engine. Fully adaptive electronic control of all shifting makes the powertrain more responsive while minimizing harshness.
Outstanding ride, handling and capability
For 2011, all Jeep Grand Cherokee models boast an improved and refined on-road ride thanks in part to the vehicle’s body structure. Torsional stiffness was improved 146 percent versus the previous model, for improved ride, durability and reduced noise, vibration and harshness. The improvement is achieved with more than 5,400 welds in the body alone, marking a 53-percent increase in spot welds, a 42-percent increase in arc welds and a 38-percent increase in structural adhesive.
With the new 2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8, engineers have improved handling even further.
The best handling Jeep vehicle ever – capable of .90 g on the skid pad – features a new SRT-tuned, adaptive damping suspension managed by the new Jeep Selec-Track system that interacts with several different systems (stability control, adaptive damping, transmission shift strategy, transfer case torque proportioning, Electronic Limited Slip Differential performance, throttle control and cylinder de-activation) to automatically tune the dynamics of the vehicle. Drivers can manually choose between five dynamic modes for specific driving conditions:
- Auto: provides the most compliant ride and automatically adapts to any road situation using the adaptive suspension tuning
- Sport: provides enhanced body control for a sporty, fun-to-drive ride for the street
- Tow: provides a safe reduction in pitch and bounce for enhanced towing capability
- Track: provides the high-performance, firm, “track-tuned” suspension option to lock down body motion for the ultimate handling experience
- Snow: provides the most conservative dynamic mode, so the vehicle will safely stay
in-line in inclement winter weather conditions